Sunday, February 24, 2008

Practice Hike Delayed


Well I was planning on hiking a portion of the Knobstone Trail in Southern Indiana on this wonderful Lords day, but the weather is a little more than what I was planning on. It is snowing, pretty breezy, and about 30 deg. The ground is muddy and would not be a pleasurable experience to try out my new pack in. Also I am a bachelor till Wednesday, and last night I got sucked into an engaging TV program about wild monkeys and stayed up pretty late. So, I will be taking a nice nap this afternoon.

Tuesday after class, I will be hiking the Deem Lake section of the Knobstone trail. I can't wait. The weather looks like it will be a little warmer and clearer skies.

I have a few intentions on this "practice" trip. I will be trying out my new pack and seeing how it rides. I have played with the pack and also have practiced donning and doffing the pack more times than I can count. Now I just need to stretch my legs a little and get this thing on a trail. I also want to test my GPS. I have invested in Trimble outdoors for my phone and want to see how well it works. I have played with this program multiple times, but never used it for any serious hiking. Had it not been for the weather this afternoon, I was going to try it out on a five mile (one way) trip with the Deem Lake Trail. The trip will be ten miles total.

Here are some pics of the pack I have (for those who have been asking to see it packed and loaded). When Kathy gets back I will be doing an in depth review of the pack with tons of Pics. I believe this pack to be one of the best packs anyone could get. I still have to test the trail worthiness, but from what I see so far, I don't think I will be disappointed.

(Please excuse the poor image quality. Kathy has the digital camera in Tenn.)




Picturing the "Dock and Lock" system/ Pretty ingenious if you ask me.


Top


Bottom


Three days worth of meals and supplies. This amount of food in a survival situation could be rationed to a week for one person.


Nifty little hanging pouch that came with the bag


Side


I could fit around four days of food, water bladder, extra pair of summer clothes, pot, gas, light in the bag. I still have enough room for water filter and some other odd's and ends. A tent and sleep bag cannot fit in the bag with the other stuff in there. They can be attached to outside,

2 comments:

Ben said...

Another Trimble Outdoors user posted a few POIs from Knobstone Trail to the website. You might try sending the trip to your phone before you go:
Knobstone Trail, Indiana
Make sure to post your own hike when you're back!

Brennan Webb said...

Ben,

I will actually be going back in a few weeks to do a ten mile loop for twenty miles total. I actually have two usernames on trimble. Brennanwebb and crosshairs308. I went ahead and posted the trip as you will see on the blog. Enjoy, and I will post on my twenty miler.