Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Josiah's First Hunt

Well the crisp bright day of September 30th rolled around yesterday, tree leaves were falling, and nature was calling the wild Webb boys.  So in the afternoon, Josiah and I threw on our hunting garb and headed for the woods.   This was Josiah's first hunt and he did good.  I could not have been prouder. I could see in his face as we prepared to leave that he was excited about what we were doing, not knowing what was about to come.

Josiah decked out.

Love the boots! Thanks Mom!

Gettin ready to leave.


Walking on the trail.


The baby back pack is awesome and held our three days supply of fire, food, water, and...Diapers.  (Just in case the squirrels attacked.)


"Let me shoot Daddy!!!"


"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it." 


Leaving the woods.

7 comments:

glazlad said...

This is appalling! Introducing such a small child to death suffering blood and gore is horrific!

If a movie contains scenes of animal death, blood or gore the censors rate it as unsuitable for kids. Why? Because the top American psycholigists say that seeing such sights emotionally and mentally damages the immature mind of the child. YOU CHOOSE to subject your child to such scenes in real life!

In my view this is abuse!

Are you aware that over 98% of white male serial killers were child hunters? The psychologists say that the gore desensitizes their moral compass. I am horrified by these pictures and videos. I am so glad my father was a good man and taught me to respect wildlife and not slaughter it!

Brennan Webb said...

GLAZLAD,

I am sorry if this sounds or looks offensive to you. However,I have a few arguments to make against your claims:

1. I grew up with a deep and profound respect for wildlife and want to pass that on to my children. How that was accomplished for me was by going hunting at a young age with my dad. All of the friends I have who have hunted their whole life are not murderers or go around slaughtering game. I have a deep appreciation for all of Gods creation and want to be a wise steward of what is here.

I remember my first time ever seeing an animal lose it's life. It was sad and upsetting, so I understand your argument, however, it also taught me a profound lesson, that life is real and when someone or something loses its life it is something that cannot be taken back. The consequences are forever. I also learned a lot about death and the reality of it.
I do not hunt for "fun" so much as for food and family. Many men that I know live lives that are reliant on hunting for meat. It's not weird and it definitely is not torture or abuse, whether it be to an animal or child. It is real life. I guess my question would be to you, "will my child be better off going to a slaughter house in china where your mcdonalds burger is made?" Maybe then he will have a nice grip on reality...

2.Just so you know, hunters contribute more than 3/4 of all funds annually needed to support wild life management areas. So if you have ever thought that hunting is just a bunch of rednecks running around with guns shooting everything they see...i am sorry if that is your perception. We donate more than all the liberal,blue bleeding, democrat organizations in America combined. So don't for a second say that hunters are bad for environment.

3. Psychologist say a lot of things... if you haven't noticed most will say whatever Oprah inspired liberal garbage that will make them a dollar. One thing to seeing images in real life that is beneficial is that the child understands it is real life!! That was what impressed me as a child, that death is a final action. I would rather him understand that, not through tv, but in real life. Also, it will be years before he even understands what is going on. Just so you can put your mind at ease, we did not see anything.

4. You can get statistics to say anything you want. Did you know that 92% of people in america who OPPOSED hunting do not oppose abortion? Save the deer, kill the babies. Want to talk about serial killers now?


5. You said your father was a good man and told you to respect wildlife...great! I find it interesting that you think I am a horrible dad when you have never met me for one minute of my life. Also, there is more that goes into the making of a serial killer than just childhood hunting. I have many, many friends who from childhood were hunters and none of them are on death row for murder. Lame argument...

Unless you are a vegetarian, if you eat meat, you slaughter it. It may not be your hand who pulls the trigger, but it is YOUR demand that does. At least in hunting the animal has a chance to escape as opposed to the slaughter houses that feed America (which by the way I do not oppose having either)

Your main beef is not with me so much as it is with a worldview. That worldview being one who believes that God created all things and that man was given dominion over the earth. Part of that dominion includes being able to take game for food. That is reality.

So call me an abuser. Fine. My child may turn out to be a serial killer, but if he does, it won't be because of hunting at an early age, but rather due to the liberal postmodern thinking that usually drives peoples arguments against hunting. Time will tell, as it already has.

Organic Meatbag said...

Hehehe, well I won't really react quite as over the top as Glazlad did, but I have to agree that putting a gun (toy or not) in the hands of a 1 year old child is pretty twisted... "Yay Daddy, me and Jesus just bagged a sweet ten-point buck!"

Brennan Webb said...

Meatbag,

Thanks I appreciate the reminder. I forgot to include that last sentence (jesus helped me kill a dear comment) in my argument to Glazlad.

Yeah I dont know if I'd even go so far as to say "Jesus and I shot a deer," but to thank God for the provision of food should not be too overboard.

I saw you live in Louisville, should email me and meet up...just watch out for my son he's a real sharp shootin serial killer, so don't make him mad (he seems to like cherios / hint hint)

Anonymous said...

I read through your comments there and to answer your questions Yes I am a vegetarian and so are all my pet dogs.

I cannot fathom how you think that letting a child see a living animal having a bullet or an arrow slam into its body seeing its terror and suffering with blood pouring out everywhwere is a good thing. Are you saying that it has NO effect on the child. The effect that it had on you was that as you say your first dead animal was distressing, now it has no effect on you. You have become hardened to it.

I have been working in animal management for 15 years now and have seen the actions of hunters up close and personal. I have heard all the "stops overpoulation" propaganda and the "we are doing the deer a favour by slaughtering them" stuff.

This is the effects of hunting I see almost on a daily basis. We find dead animals in traps left to starve. We find them where they have chewed their paws or legs off to escape. Until bowhunting was banned as was hunting with dogs we found many many deer dying slow agonizing deaths with arrows embedded in them that were not retrieved. Studies showed that a lot of hunters had a shoot to injure and follow the blood trail polict and not a shoot to kill policy. You will never properly police hunting and it will be open to widespread abuse. So yes im afraid the trigger happy redneck scenario is realistic.

On to God, I believe in God and it was NEVER gods intention that man eat animals. It says in Genesis 1:29,30


29 Then God said, I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground— everything that has the breath of life in it— I give every green plant for food. And it was so.

So the creator intended all human and animals to eat fresh vegetation in the begining, man was told to cultivate the garden of Eden and to spread it all over the earth. He was told to have dominion over the animals as in Care for them!

The first time God authorised man to eat meat was when Noah stepped out of the ark to an earth devastated by flood.This all happened because of Adam and Eves fall into sin.

If Adam and Eve had NOT sinned ALL of us would be vegetarians!

If you look carefully at Genesis 9:4 it says that Noah had to have so much respect for the life taken that he was to pour the lifeblood of the animal into the soil, in other words bleed it. Christian hunters are great at quoting the bible but tend to be a bit choosy as to what parts they live by!


No there is no respect for the life taken, it is now Sport like with Nimrod in the bible "A mighty hunter in opposition to God" as the bible says. Its all about trophies, blood sports.

Anonymous said...

I read through your comments there and to answer your questions Yes I am a vegetarian and so are all my pet dogs.

I cannot fathom how you think that letting a child see a living animal havinf a bullet or an arrow slam into its body seeing its terror and suffering with blood pouring out everywhwere is a good thing. Are you saying that it has NO effect on the child. The effect that it had on you was that as you say your first dead animal was distressing, now it has no effect on you. You have become hardened to it.

I have been working in animal management for 15 years now and have seen the actions of hunters up close and personal. I have heard all the "stops overpoulation" propaganda and the "we are doing the deer a favour by slaughtering them" stuff.

This is the effects of hunting I see almost on a daily basis. We find dead animals in traps left to starve. We find them where they have chewed their paws or legs off to escape. Until bowhunting was banned as was hunting with dogs we found many many deer dying slow agonizing deaths with arrows embedded in them that were not retrieved. Studies showed that a lot of hunters had a shoot to injure and follow the blood trail polict and not a shoot to kill policy. You will never properly police hunting and it will be open to widespread abuse. So yes im afraid the trigger happy redneck scenario is realistic.

On to God, I believe in God and it was NEVER gods intention that man eat animals. It says in Genesis 1:29,30


29 Then God said, I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground— everything that has the breath of life in it— I give every green plant for food. And it was so.

So the creator intended all human and animals to eat fresh vegetation in the begining, man was told to cultivate the garden of Eden and to spread it all over the earth. He was told to have dominion over the animals as in Care for them!

The first time God authorised man to eat meat was when Noah stepped out of the ark to an earth devastated by flood.This all happened because of Adam and Eves fall into sin.

If Adam and Eve had NOT sinned ALL of us would be vegetarians!

If you look carefully at Genesis 9:4 it says that Noah had to have so much respect for the life taken that he was to pour the lifeblood of the animal into the soil, in other words bleed it. Christian hunters are great at quoting the bible but tend to be a bit choosy as to what parts they live by!


No there is no respect for the life taken, it is now Sport like with Nimrod in the bible "A mighty hunter in opposition to God" as the bible says. Its all about trophies, blood sports.

Anonymous said...

Sorry accidentally posted that twice