Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pack Modification

So my Kifaru pack has been to the middle of Africa and was almost on a trip with my brother in law on the Appalachian trail, had not other conditions arose. I am about to take the pack out on a 2 day backpacking trip with some friends of mine and have been thinking about some cheap modifications that I could make to the pack I own.

The modification that I am making is actually pretty simple yet very effective. The pack I have is made by Kifaru and is truly bomb proof. The fit and function of their packs is like none other that I have seen. I am not a professional outdoor gear head, but I can tell quality when I see it. I have never owned a "serious" back pack other than the Kifaru Express and everytime I see another pack from other manufacturers come out I never regret my Kifaru purchase. I think it is because the people who make these packs actually PACK with these bags and know what things work and what dont. So, all that to say, that yes people say I am crazy for spending $280 bucks on a bag...but after forty years of use, I KNOW I'll be handing this one to Josiah and his sons to use. Lord willing in this next year I will be able to go on a mission trip to Peru and this bag will be the one to go with me.

So back to the modification. If anyone reading this has a Kifaru Express and is tall like me (6'5") you will notice that the lifter straps are of no help. So to change this problem, I came up with this solution:

First, know that if I use my Express, I am using it for overnight camping. With this being the case, I will always have my sleeping pad with me. The sleeping pad affords my modification the right lift. See pictures for details.

Base Bag.


Extra Webing with male clips and sleep pad

I purchased 60" of webing and 4 male and female detach clips. Cut the webing in half, and attached the female clips to the top bag loops and male clips to the webing.




One set of the female clips went on the lifter strap right where the plastic friction adjuster already is. The only thing that would make this better is a dedicated loop for this modification.


Here is the main Idea. Notice the connection point for the lifter straps. Sorry for the shoddy pics they were from my phone.

The picture below gives a feel for what the lifter straps did before the "lift." I added in the lines to show where the top of the shoulder straps come in relation to the lifter strap when I wear it. Because I am so tall the lifter straps are worthless in this scenario.


You can see the big difference after the modification below.






I donned the pack and sure enough it took any downward weight on the shoulders off and provided that backwards pulling feel on the front of my chest (like when your mom tells you to quit slouching). Granted I have yet to try the modification on a trail but in two weeks I will get my chance. Here goes nothin!!


UPDATE: I was able to take it on a 13 mile hike the other day and the bag performed flawlessly and due to the modification had ZERO shoulder fatigue. It was the first long day hike I had ever done with no pack problems at all. One up for the Kifaru!


No comments: