Sunday, January 31, 2010

Texas Trip

I went to Texas with a cold and it just about killed me by the time we got back. Mr. Ron knows how to keep a schedule... but anywho, I am better now and am posting about the trip. Like I told my parrents, it was an amazing time of meeting new people, deepening relationships, and learning ALOT of things.

The weather was mostly rainy and cold. I think Bubby (the ranch manager) joked that I could have come here 100 times and never seen a drop of rain. Must have been my Yankee presence pulling that nasty winter weather down there.

The scenery is amazing. Fields of mesquite and cedars, prairie grass, and animals everywhere! Deer, turkeys, javelinas (mini-hogs), and cattle for sure. Even got to see some exotic African like stuff. Amazing...

I took some pics and have posted some video. I have blocked the album for these pictures due to some gory views.

Me and Eva
From Texas Trip

Some Crazy Cute Boys
From Texas Trip

From Texas Trip

Did a little horse trading and ended up with this...
From Texas Trip

First Night- Got quite a few
From Texas Trip

Deer were not the only things being hunted. Bubby and Brady took us gringo's out for some arrowhead hunting.
From Texas Trip

Brady has quite the eye for flint
From Texas Trip

This is the best piece I found...just a piece of unworked flint
From Texas Trip

This is what Brady's dad found...definitely took the prize for best find that day.
From Texas Trip

Bubby taught Woody and I how the Indians used to make red dye. Inside this white, sticky, almost like creamed marshmallow husk is a bug who's guts are blood red.
From Texas Trip

From Texas Trip

The next day...we had some more hanging.
From Texas Trip

Get's a little messy.
From Texas Trip

Going through a push gate...I guess scratches on the bumper just give the truck character :)
From Texas Trip

Video through the range finder. Lots of turkeys. Shows the feeder and how far away it is. Also shows my first doe I killed.
From Texas Trip

Feeders outside the bunkhouse. Crazy.
From Texas Trip

Bubby looking through pics of his cattle at the bunkhouse.
From Texas Trip

This is turned to the left from the picture above looking back into where the bathrooms and bunkbeds are. Very nice place.
From Texas Trip

Few pics from old time past...looks like good memories for those people.
From Texas Trip

This was at "the store" (thats what they called this stand)
From Texas Trip

From Texas Trip

I could barely get him to stand still long enough. The rack on this sucker was super wide.
From Texas Trip

From Texas Trip

From Texas Trip

I know it's blurry but is the only picture that shows the length of tines! Look at those things!
From Texas Trip

I was able to take a spike while I was there. Bubby told us if we saw a spike with tines longer than 8" to take them. Well I got one. It's my first buck. It may not be a wall hanger, but it's mine.
From Texas Trip

This is about oh, i dont know...2% of the antlers lying around the camp...crazy.
From Texas Trip

Even though this one is not hooked up, Ron educated Woody and I about windmills being used to run pumps for water.
From Texas Trip

Bunkhouse
From Texas Trip

Watchout for these...they are everywhere. And I learned the hard way. When I went to field dress one of the does I shot, I accidentally sat down on one and got 4-5 of these needles in my rear. Lets just say I am glad I had privacy, because I had to moon all creation to get these things out!!
From Texas Trip

Cattle...they make a hunt rather short if they come around. The deer dont like them so much.
From Texas Trip

Ok...this is as gory as it gets...just don't look if your squeamish.
From Texas Trip

Again, really nice facilities. Walk in cooler.
From Texas Trip

From Texas Trip

This is where we sighted in.
From Texas Trip

My group is a four shot group at the left lowest square. All four shots touching...what? Did you think my aim was that bad?
From Texas Trip

From Texas Trip

This was the highlight of the trip for me. Brady (ranch managers son), Woody, and I all went out and perched up on this hill. We had access to shoot deer well past the range of our rifles. Brady shot at a doe at 430yrds and missed a little over. I shot at a doe at 530 and missed a little under but later nailed one at the same range. I'll save the rest of the story for those who really want to know...
From Texas Trip

From Texas Trip

From Texas Trip

Setting up for the shot.
From Texas Trip

From Texas Trip

Lets just say it was a stretch...it is the longest shot on an animal I have ever taken.
From Texas Trip

Back at camp skinning and quartering.
From Texas Trip


Here is an aerial photo. I tried to piece together all the roads we were on. You can see up at the top between right and center a white line. That distance is 530yrds. I believe this is where I was when I took the shot. (BTW The camp is a white dot right above the black square left bottom corner of the screen. Jack Riggs' house is the mansion you see bottom left middle. Easy to spot.)
From Texas Trip


This is while we were leaving... a massive monument to none other than to the king of the wild frontier,Davey Crockett.
From Texas Trip

Loaded
From Texas Trip

Cooling things off a bit.
From Texas Trip

Back at Mr. Ron's getting a schooling by the master of all things meat.
From Texas Trip


It was a blast and am thankful to my parents for sponsoring me on the trip and for Woody and Mr. Ron for taking me, taking care of me, and for putting up with my incessant hacking and sniffling the whole way. I had the time of my life.

No comments: