Friday, September 24, 2010

Weariness

Thinking... Remembering... how my grandmother (who lived most of her life with very little of today's technology) would spend hours in her bedroom each day praying by name for those she knew and loved. Praying for our country. Praying for her church and for the gospel. The contrast convicts me to ask why that doesn't exist in me/church today. Then I begin to count the hours, days, months, years I/we spend texting on our phones, playing computer games, surfing the Internet looking at useless junk, hours upon hours soaking up sitcoms, sports and movies; and I/we justify it all with a sorry excuse of "me" time...but somehow EVERY night becomes "me" time. What can truly make us so tired that at every turn in our lives we still need more "me time"? Why do we think that at every still moment we need to check our phone to see if someone tweeted or emailed us; forbid it that we would proactively converse with the person next to us for fear that we would interfere with their "me time". I fear it is the constant "me time" addiction that is making me/us all the more shriveled in our souls. And after all the time I/we waste, we wonder why we ache inside when we read or hear Gods word and see how little we have done to love God with all our soul, mind, and strength and how little we love others because we aren't around others to love. We know more about our flat screen tv than we know about our neighbors. How many should perish because of our own self absorbed "me time"? Please Lord, show mercy...

No comments: