Saturday, October 1, 2011

Homemade Mini-Inferno

So over the last few days I have been revamping my level 1 survival kit.  One of the items I have had my eye on was a source of fire that is "guaranteed".  Unlike our most recent survival challenge, it may not be bone dry and having sure ignition is a comforting thing.  Well after looking around a while, I found a solid looking tender that looks crush proof, water proof, and burns slow and hot.  The product is called mini-inferno and is sold by the guy who is on the dual survivor tv show, Dave Canteburry. http://goo.gl/iMVjZ


After looking at the composition a little, I surmised that the base is made of womens round cotton facial wipes dipped in an excellerant and finally soaked in wax.  Genius setup.


However the price is not a no brainer.  Almost $10 bucks for six disk.  Granted the twist tin is nice but I think I can make the whole shebang for a lot less.


So I got 25 votive candles for $5. 100 round facial wipes for $1.  A tuna can tin and some lamp oil.  The lamp oil I had laying around. Tongs, tinfoil, and heat source. 


In ten minutes I had 12 rounds soaked in wax and cooling.  It was simple.


Testing commenced with the help of Josiah and sarah.  We startes with the ferous rod.  I was unsucsessful at getting it to light within 5 solid strikes from the Blastmatch. 


I was under the gun for time and I grabbed the bic and it lit easily.  It burned for a solid 4 1/2 min!


This was definitely a success.  Next time I think I will try kerosene instead of lamp oil.


No comments: