Thursday, April 24, 2008

Brainstorming

Here is my latest project that I worked on two nights ago. It is for the AT trip and am pleased with the product. I have pretty much finished stocking my entire AT list, except for a few odds and ends. There was one piece of equipment that I was having a lot of difficulty handling...my sleeping bag. The one I have for winter use is way to big and hot for summer use. Also, my summer bag (a fleece bag from walmart) is big and bulky, and a little heavier than I would like.

SO, off to Quest outdoors I go. I spend an hour or two looking around and getting ideas and seeing price tags that are more than I can afford. Even then I did not see what I was really looking for. But my mind is brewing... I finally drop into walmart and go by the fabric section. There I find some medium weight nylon-ripstop fabric in navy blue, and I find some white polyester semi-spandex type material. They were lightweight, and the nylon was tough. The price was tough to beat too. I bought both bolts of fabric for$20.

Here is what I was thinking. Get a lightweight nylon, and sew a liner to it for a super lightweight and compact summer sleeping bag. Here is the product of my brainstorm:

The bolt of nylon was enough to make three sleeping bags! (I wanted extra in case I messed up..and bc it was on the $1.00 rack) Also, I can make stuff sacks from the material.


Marked my lengths. I made the bag 82" long and is 30" wide. Little narrow, but that's ok.


Shot of the nylon. This was a heavier weight nylon. Maybe 2 oz per yrd? I wish I could have found some 1.1oz ripstop nylon...that would have been super lightweight!! But this stuff is pretty durable and I like it.


Kathy pitched in with her seamstress skills. Thanks sweety


To the sewing machine we go!


I definitely learned a new appreciation for professional sewers!


After three hours of sewing...


Finished Product


I sewed the side half way up and am still thinking about how I want the top half to close. Probably use a zipper.


Size compared to fleece bag...


The weight and bulkiness is almost exactly half the fleece bag


Gettin' hardcore...


Kathy took a nap in it yesterday and seemed to be impressed with the quality. I am going to sleep a few nights outside on our back deck and give a report on how it fares for comfort, warmth, and usability. All in all pretty impressed.

No comments: