Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Range Day and Tactical Solutions PacLite MkIII .22

This morning was Range Day. Even though no one was waiting at the church to go with me, I still had a good time and was pleasantly surprised at some of the things I found out about my guns.

First, I will begin with the Tactical Solutions PacLite 4 1/2" bbl MkIII. I have owned this pistol for about 8 months now and have shot about 3 bricks through it. It has never had a hiccup from day one. I am pleased with the performance of the pistol using open sights. I can hit the 3" steel spinners at 25yrds all day. But it gets better....

Here it is.

I had read about how accurate these uppers were, but had only done casual plinking and not too much for serious accuracy. Rested I could manage about a 2" to 3" group, open sights at 25 yrds. Let's just say I am not a pistolero. I like being hunkered down behind a scope. Today's performance at the range backs that statement up.

It began when I change all the scopes around on my guns. As you can see the Bushnell red dot went to thePac Lite. Looks good and boy was I surprised at what a difference it makes!


I set up targets at 25 yrds as can be seen in the picture below. This is what I was looking at from the bench. Those dots are 1" exactly. Aim Small Miss Small. Click the picture to enlarge. (Yes that is a TacSol 10/22 TE BBL to the left)


Once I had the scope on paper, this was the first group shot! I could not believe it! Pesky Flier... The first four shots were less than .5" Very Nice.


Here is another one (excuse the shot gun pellet holes) This was about average grouping. I was just using regular federal bulk pack ammo. I shot approximately 20 of the dots; all five shot groups. 100 rounds total. All of them were around the .75-1" mark. Very few had rounds that landed outside the circle. As you can see in previous pictures I was just resting on the box of ammo. I believe this gun could be vised and just about shoot hole in hole.


The fit and function of the gun is impeccable. The hogue grips on any MKIII are a must for me being that my hand just molds right to the grip. The balance of the aluminum upper is great and has more centered feel that lands right behind the trigger than in front. The weight savings is quite considerable as I have already taken this pistol on a few hikes with me. The upper is worth it.

If I had to change anything about the gun? The trigger. I would lighten it to about 2-2 1/2 lbs. That will be later. Right now this gun will be my primary on my squirrel hunts this season. I am itching to get some meat with this thing.

Where I got it from? I live in Louisville and I purchased the whole upper and lower together from Paul Zint of http://paulzintgunsmith.com/ I knew which model I had wanted for over a year and so I contacted him once the funds were finally available. He was able to get my order within a few weeks, being that TacSol was running behind at the time. I met Paul after work one day and I was impressed with his attitude, knowledge, and concern to give a quality product. We talked for over an hour after the paperwork was done, and got to joke around and know a little about each other. It was nice to see a dealer take some time with a customer and I was very pleased with the whole interaction. Paul is "good people" in my book. He is MY TacSol dealer from now on. Highly recommended on the forums (ex: Rimfirecentral.com) also.

No comments: